Welcome
Welcome to The Roundhouse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Head's Up - DEFRA order all birds indoors!

Head's Up - DEFRA order all birds indoors!

Postby Running Dog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:50 am

I just came across a notice published by DEFRA on the 6th December 2016 - for the next 30 days they want ALL CAPTIVE BIRDS to be prevented from any contact with wild birds, preferably by being confined indoors.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-protect-poultry-against-avian-flu

Keepers of poultry and other captive birds are now required to keep their birds indoors, or take appropriate steps to keep them separate from wild birds.

I've been told this isn't only England - the order applies to the whole UK, and to every single captive bird - including falcons and pigeons, not just hens and ducks.

Thankfully I only have quail at the moment and they're already indoors.
Running Dog
Around A Lot

Re: Head's Up - DEFRA order all birds indoors!

Postby Sass » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 am

It seems that geese are exempt as long as you take as many precautions as you can. Mainly because most geese are basically grass fed and that is difficult to substitute for if kept indoors
Sass
Always Around

Highscores: 2

Postby poolfield » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:58 pm

My girls are mightily fed up now!

I'm also struggling to keep rats at bay, I normally move the run onto new grass frequently and try to keep one step ahead of the rats.
poolfield
Always Around

Postby Julie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:08 am

One of our ducks died from old age the other day so I put it in the woodland for the fox to eat. I decided to keep the others in anyway because of the riskier time of year fox-wise, but they will have to take their chances in the run. It's plain daft to assume that everyone has access to a suitable building and anyway, the wild birds pop in & out of the wire netting on the run to share the food. The bigger birds also sit on top of the run and crap in the water and food dishes, they can't fit through the wire so they just hang about looking at it.
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
I will be a hummingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMW6YWjMxw
Julie
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Return to Poultry