Welcome
Welcome to The Roundhouse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Rescuing falling trees, is it possible?

Rescuing falling trees, is it possible?

Postby Julie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:00 pm

It's easy to see how important protection from the prevailing wind is by the way so many of the trees on our plot have grown leaned over from the battering they've taken over the years.
One Czar plum tree we have is so badly listing that it was necessary to do something to save it from falling over completely. I've been told that it will grow from the base if a tree is cut down and we do actually have a bush conference pear that Weyland rescued from disease by doing so, cutting away all the diseased wood so it could start again. It looks super healthy now, but took a few years to re-grow.
As this Czar plum was already at 45deg it would have needed cutting right down to the deck so instead I decided to jack it up as much as possible without doing damage and rolled a really fat log under it to stop it listing any further. Then, to reduce the strain on it's roots, pruned away the leader and top growth so the upright 'side' growth became the new structure of the tree. It looks odd but if it rescues the tree, who cares? It will give me a chance to train the 'new' tree from scratch by annual pruning - now I know a bit more about it.
Only time will tell if this fix will be successful but I'll update in the future. In the meantime if anyone else has a story or some advice I'd love to hear it.
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
I will be a hummingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMW6YWjMxw
Julie
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Re: Rescuing falling trees, is it possible?

Postby poolfield » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 pm

I need to sort out a pear tree that has come badly loose in the last storm, itrying to decide whether to go radical as it has quite a lot of canker.
poolfield
Always Around

Postby Julie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:25 pm

I have had a measure of success at straightening listing trees but one cherry plum which broke right down at the base didn't survive. Gordon has cut a few trees down to just a few feet when they were riddled with canker, they sprout new branches from lower down and start again. It's important not to spread any canker spores to other trees so I clean the pruning equipment between trees and burn the prunings as kindling.

We had a slanting pear tree which I straightened by knocking in two fence posts, then tying it between them. I tightened the ropes every few weeks by a small amount and it gradually came straight, not unlike dentists do with teeth.

That plum tree is doing well now. It had been growing at 45deg for so long it wouldn't have been possible to straighten it without a JCB :lol: My pruning last winter and this seems to be paying off, I can see the tree finally has some fruiting spurs developing. Maybe there will be some plums this year at last.
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
Julie
Site Admin

Postby oakesme » Thu May 25, 2017 5:25 pm

I've rescued a few fallen alders and birches that were planted for wind breaks. They got blown over when the stakes or tree tubes broke. My solution was to put much stronger stakes and strong tree ties and pull them upright. All have survived so far. Over time the tree tie should be moved downwards so more of the wind load is taken by the roots and less by the stake. Once a tree is big enough to clear the grass its worth making an effort to save it.
oakesme
Newly Around

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:58 am

That's useful to know about moving the tree ties down. It tallies with the other advice I was given about a tree's swaying strengthening the roots, might have been Sass who told me that but I can't remember for sure.
Julie
Site Admin

Return to Trees and shrubs