Welcome
Welcome to The Roundhouse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Lancashire hotpot

The low energy way to cook

Lancashire hotpot

Postby Julie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm

It seems that every region of Britain has it's own version of a meat, potato and onion dish and Lancashire is no exception. Up here the great favourite is Stovies of course and i daresay that would be easily done in a pressure cooker too. If anyone can add a recipe for Stovies I would be grateful........think I'll pm Townie, she's a great cook. ;)

You'll have to adjust the quantities according to how many mouths you're feeding but all you do is peel and slice potatos and onions and dice up some meat. Traditionally a Lancashire hotpot is made with lamb, but beef makes a fine substitute as does tinned corned beef or lamb.
Start with a layer of potato slices, then onions , then meat pieces. Layer in this way, seasoning as you go, until you finish with a layer of potatos. Add a half a pint of stock, pouring it over the whole thing. I like to mix in half a teaspoon of mustard powder with the stock if I'm using beef, it gives it an extra kick, but plenty of black pepper is a must in our house.
Bring the pressure cooker up to pressure and cook for ten to fifteen minutes depending on the size of your hotpot.
Let the pressure go down and it is ready to serve.
NB; Most pressure cooker instructions tell you to add a minimum of half a pint of liquid as insufficient liquid will make the cooker boil dry and may melt the safety valve in the lid.

For me, this is comfort food as well as a quick meal. The meat and onion flavours are picked up by the potato and it all becomes very savoury.
pressure cooker 3.jpg
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
I will be a hummingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMW6YWjMxw
Julie
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Re: Lancashire hotpot

Postby permamike » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:29 pm

i might well try that, thanks :D
oh, if a gardener worked like a farmer, and a farmer like a gardener.

http://www.wanderingcrafts.co.uk/
permamike

Postby Sass » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:28 pm

One of the "discussions" that me and Phil have had a few times is about my version of STEW
. The first time that I ever cooked it for him he asked why it had all those veg in it !!
To me, a stew is a relatively small amount of meat, I like beef skirt if I can get it, with lots of assorted veg, potatoes and maybe even some dried pulses in it. Dumplings on the top.
To Phil, and most of the NE it seems, stew is braised beef and onions.

Very confusing lol
Sass
Always Around

Postby Julie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I've come across that one too.
Ask Phil why they don't call a steak pie a stew pie.....that'll fox him.
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
I will be a hummingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMW6YWjMxw
Julie
Site Admin

Return to Pressure cooker recipes