Welcome
Welcome to The Roundhouse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Julie's four bean chilli

The low energy way to cook

Julie's four bean chilli

Postby Julie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 pm

This makes quite a lot of chilli because i freeze it in portions so that Weyland can have some meat free days, without me having to cook two different meals. It freezes very well and makes a good six, man sized portions.

2 oz chick peas
2 oz black eyed beans* (* It doesn't matter what kind of beans you use for these two)
2 oz dried broad beans*
Tin of red kidney beans
2 medium onions
2 or 3 garlic cloves
2 medium carrots
3 peppers ( red, green, yellow.....whatever you fancy)
6 to 8 oz mushrooms
2 & 1/2 lb chopped tomatos
good tablespoon tomato puree and a tablespoon of tomato ketchup
very heaped teaspoon cocoa powder
teaspoon paprika
Chilli to taste. I like a mix of ground dried chilli and bottled jalapenos for their flavour, with no meat in the mix you need to add as much flavour as you can. Only you know how hot you like it, and chillis seem to vary in strength so much, that i'm not going to suggest an amount.

Method;
Soak the beans overnight and the next day, cook in salted, boiling water until tender. You can use your pressure cooker for this, but don't cook them so long that they break up.

Sweat the chopped onions and garlic for five minutes.
Add the prepared carrots, peppers, mushrooms, tomatos, puree, ketchup, cocoa, chillis and cooked beans.
Bring to pressure and cook for ten minutes on high, remove from heat and reduce pressure gradually. Check seasoning. If you want more heat you can add more chilli at this stage and cook a little longer.
four bean chilli.jpg
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
I will be a hummingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMW6YWjMxw
Julie
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Return to Pressure cooker recipes