Welcome
Welcome to The Roundhouse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Lentil patties

The low energy way to cook

Lentil patties

Postby Julie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 pm

This has become a bit of a staple in our house. If anyone had told me a few years back that I would cook meat free meals several times a week, I would have laughed at them, but Weylands Angina has opened up a whole new world of variety for us. I can recommend these as they are only mildly spicy and tasty so they should suit the whole family.
lentil patties.jpg

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
one medium onion, finely chopped
one stick celery, finely chopped
one med/large carrot finely chopped
8 oz lentils
3/4 pint water
four tablespoons wholemeal flour
half teaspoon ground ginger
Half teaspoon ground cumin
Tablespoon mango chutney
teaspoon curry powder or curry paste (vary this quantity and variety according to taste)
salt and pepper if wished

sweat the onion and garlic in a little oil in the unlidded pressure cooker until onion is translucent and garlic is golden.
Add the onion, celery, lentils and water to the pot and put on the lid.
Bring to pressure , cook for two minutes, turn off the heat, and let the pressure go down on it's own. The pressure will finish cooking the lentils as it reduces, but you save fuel.
Once the lid can be opened, add the chutney, spices, seasoning,flour, and curry paste/powder.
Mix it all to a stiff paste and it is ready to use.
To make the Patties, add tablespoons of the paste to a pre-heated frying pan with a little oil in it, flatten them a little with the back of the spatula and fry on both sides until browned, which just takes a few minutes.
This is something you can prepare ahead of time - even days before and keep in the fridge until needed. Small spoonfuls make mini patties that are nice for finger food at parties.
My tip; serve them with sweet chilli dipping sauce, they go really well together.
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
I will be a hummingbird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMW6YWjMxw
Julie
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Re: Lentil patties

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:55 pm

sounds delish, but what's the pointy veg in the salad? Rat's tail radish?
Pumpkin
Always Around

Postby Julie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

They were radish seed pods - normally very nice. Those had gone over a bit though and were a bit woody.
Vote with your feet. If enough of us swim against the current we just might form a dam.
Julie
Site Admin

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Thought that's what they looked like. You can get varieties to grow just for that part.
Pumpkin
Always Around

Postby Julie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:34 pm

We'll have to give them a try. If we do a seed order again, I will add them on and we can all take a few.
Julie
Site Admin

Return to Pressure cooker recipes